Friday, July 20, 2012

50 Shades of...CRAP!

It seems one can’t go anywhere these days without being visually bombarded with copies of 50 Shades of Grey by E(ricka) L(eonard) James on display.  When this book first came on the market, it immediately skyrocketed to bestseller status and, I had to admit, I was curious.  As I began reading the plot summary and, consequently, reader reviews, I was still torn.  Reviews ranged from “I could not put this book down... Hot, romantic, funny” to “not even worth stealing.”  The majority of the comments seemed pretty positive though, as most of the readers (all women of course) loved the books’ “steaminess”.  I was still intrigued...

When I saw it on display at Indigo, I approached the books ever so slowly, scanning the store quickly in my peripheral vision that no one I knew would see me even standing in proximity to such smut. After all, I'm no pervert!  I read the back of the other 2 novels in the trilogy and even (I can’t believe I’m admitting this now) considered purchasing them!  A few weeks later, I (quite embarrassingly now) suggested the novel as the next read in my book club! (For this ladies, I do profoundly apologize!)

The hype about these books only continued to spread like wildfire, so I began reading excerpts of the first novel online.  It was at this moment that I lost all faith in people’s literary taste.
This would have been infinitely more entertaining.  And probably more realistic.


It’s crap.  Nothing but pure, repetitive, unrealistic, shallow, low-brow CRAP!

And I know what all you Christian Grey lovers out there are yelling at your screens right now.  “You haven’t even read it!  You can’t give an accurate critique!”  Well, I once read a quote that said “Life’s too short to drink cheap wine.”  Well folks, life’s too short to read dreadful literature!  And I certainly don’t consider myself a pretentious reader who only reads the classics!  I’ve read many bestsellers that certainly could have used some help in the prose department. (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy comes to mind.)  But at least the plot was interesting and compelling!  Since when do the topics of rape and abuse become bestseller material?

To summarize this drivel in one sentence, the young, naive (and virginal) main character, Anastasia Steele, (ugh, even the name is ridiculous) encounters business tycoon Christian Grey and the two embark on a “daring, passionate and physical love affair.”  However, once you get past the initial (completely ridiculous) sex scenes, readers will soon realize that the “relationship” Ana and Christian share is abusive.  He’s controlling, he repeatedly debases and ridicules her, and even occasionally “gently” (yeah right) pushes her away.  Ladies, this is what you deem your fantasy? 

For those that haven’t read the book(s), just read the excerpts below and PLEASE explain how you find this entertaining?

I had no idea giving pleasure could be such a turn-on, watching him writhe subtly with carnal longing. My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves.”
(There is just so much wrong with these sentences.  What does the latter even mean?)
 
“I want you to become well acquainted, on first name terms if you will, with my favorite and most cherished part of my body. I’m very attached to this."

(If a guy ever said this to any self-respecting girl, she would laugh in his face!  This goes right up there with guys who name their “members”, and then refer to it often like it’s an actual person.  This is pathetic!)

 “Why is anyone the way they are? That’s kind of hard to answer. Why do some people like cheese and other people hate it? Do you like cheese?” 

(Apparently, this is Christian’s attempt of an explanation as to why he likes to dominate other people.  I have no idea what cheese has to do with any of it, but I guess a lot of people out there like cheese, and perhaps they can relate?)

Yet another "good one" E.L.  You should earn a Nobel for this gold...
 There are so many more “gems” I could include and critique, but I think if I read another, I’m going to scream.   Why is this passing as a “must-read”?  Why have these novels sold millions of copies, and counting? To all those that have spent your hard-earned money on them, did you actually enjoy reading them?  You do realize that this smut is unrealistic and an example an extremely unhealthy relationship. 

I actually find it quite alarming that many review writers wish that there were Christian Greys in the world. “What a steamy fantasy that would be…” quotes one (sadly misguided) “50 Shades” reader.  Ladies, the Christian Greys of the world do exist.  We just call them by different names – rapists, abusers, wife-beaters and creeps come to mind.

So, in the name of all that is holy in the literary kingdom, PLEASE don’t add fuel to the fire and read these books.  Your intelligence and self-respect will thank you for it.
Lord help us...


3 comments:

  1. Hey Sarah,

    I saw on Facebook that you started a blog, so I thought I would check it out. This post definitely caught my eye, as I have been as perplexed as you have about this 50 Shades garbage.

    I did, in fact, read it; only because I knew I would want to comment on it and I wanted to be able to accurately and fairly defend my viewpoint that this book makes a mockery of literature. In terms of the writing style, the immaturity of it is unreal for a best seller. I could have played a drinking game to the phrase 'I blushed' and been drunk after the first chapter. Terrible. There was nothing to propel my interest forward, and the repetitiveness was awful. I wasn't challenged, I wasn't provoked. Did you know the book started as a fan fiction piece? Yeah. You can tell.

    The sheer lack of character development was also ridiculous (keeping in mind I have only read the first book), and for those in support of the book, the fact that she explored her sexual repertoire doesn't count. Maybe more than anything that angers me about this book is the fact that so many women seem to worship it - worship HIM - a fictional character! A man who wants to debase the woman he is with by slapping her. I get that this book might have opened up some women into talking about some things they may have otherwise been afraid to discuss without them being said by someone else. Maybe it helped some relationships - made things fresher - for women who are mature enough to take out of the book the things that do not humiliate and degrade women - because admittedly not EVERY single element did that. However, the overall message that the book sends, I fear, will confuse some women into thinking this is what they want. A dominant/submissive relationship that - and I don't care what the author tries to masquerade it as - is no comparison to a loving, healthy relationship. I'm not saying it's unhealthy to explore different things sexually - not at all. I think it is healthy for couples to see what they like, and again, not everything in the book is degrading. But some of these things...speaking down, slapping her ass until she cries...these are attractive qualities in a man? Really?

    Overall, I have no use for this book and I will not read the series any further. I fully support your review of this book, and I also caution people against reading it - and I will usually read anything once. Thank goodness I didn't buy it - I literally would have given it away. Waste. Of. Time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had read this (both you and Carly's) assessment of this book yesterday before I bought it. I read 3 chapters last night, and am regretting every second of my life buying this book! WORST. BOOK. EVER. The writing is awful. I'm all for "silly" books for the sake of entertainment and distraction, but this book makes me embarrassed for the Best Seller List. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry guys, I didn't realize I have comments on here! I guess I'll have to check more often.

    And thank you for commenting! I know my sentiments certainly aren't unique when it comes to this book, but lately I've been feeling like I'm the only person in Ottawa that feels this way, as I've been talking with many people who absolutely adore this book. Sadly, I feel that the amount of publicity (good and bad) it's been recieveing is only fueling sales. It's nice to know there are still those out there that appreciate good literature.

    ReplyDelete