Monday, July 16, 2012

Everything happens for a reason...and all that


A recent change in my daily existence has brought forth many questions about what I shall do with my life.  Although I was happy as a clam (albeit busy) working 5 days a week as an educator at the Canadian Museum of Nature, nasty things like budget cuts and the “deficit reduction plan” have kiboshed my hopes of continuing in that position.  Without getting into too much of the dirty details, I’m now only working part-time, at a sadly diminished salary. 
What I look like everyday now...
Please don’t get me wrong – I’m extremely grateful to still have a job in this dismal financial environment where jobs are being cut left, right and centre.  However, having just purchased a house and hoping to continue furnishing and decorating said house (not to mention additional minor details such as hydro, water, gas and, maybe some groceries once in a while), it would have been nice to hang on to a job that provided a much more stable future. 
And I’m sure I know what all you mavericks at heart out there are saying.  Where’s the adventure in a Monday to Friday, 9-5 existence?  Where’s the excitement in not knowing whether or not you can pay your mortgage or afford dinner?  Right?  Well, I liked the movie, but a bohemian I ain’t. 

So, after being delivered the news, I had one of two choices.  I could continue to dwell on all the things I could no longer afford to do, becoming increasingly bitter and defeated, or I could start a new leaf.
And this blog represents just that.

So, what shall I do with all this spare time?  Well, I shall write of course!

I’m sure there are many teenagers out there scratching their bed-headed craniums and furrowing their freshly pierced eyebrows (are facial piercings still cool?), wondering why people still write when TXTNG IS SO MUCH EZER LOL!  And as complicated as it can be to decipher the language of texting, I can’t help but think of how many messaged are misread or misconstrued with the increased use of a few words (in some cases, a few letters) that are passing as actual communication!
Offensive? Yes - but it proves my point beautifully.
So, this blog really represents a new beginning for me.  I will use it to give my writing muscles some much needed exercise, commenting on anything and everything that appeals to me (hence the title), while also doing some private writing of my own.  I’m certainly not aspiring to be the next Austen or Angelou, but writing more than just private journal entries has been something I’ve always wanted to do, and consistently used the excuse that I never had the time.  This, the writing deities are telling me, seems to be the time.
I really hope I look like this while I write too...

And while I am certainly guilty of sending short texts while not being completely honest about the message I was trying to convey, here I promise always to use full paragraphs to express my thoughts and never to use one letter sentences. K?


1 comment:

  1. excited about the new blog! and with the financial/work woes... a lot of us are in the same boat, we can all hang on together :)

    ReplyDelete